May 26, 2011

BLUE MAN GROUP -- PULSE POUNDING WINNER


BLUE MAN GROUP - PHOTO: KEN HOWARD



BLUE MAN GROUP

They are wild, they are hyperactive and they make you hyperventilate. The Blue Man Group is more than remarkable – they are exhaustingly dazzling. Of course, the music blasts you out of your seat. Maybe they should put safety belts on the seats. The visuals are awesome – from the paint drumming to ping pong balls that are caught in the mouths of two of the actors.

The Blue guys lift you to a state of exhilaration for 90 minutes. They are weird and wonderful, all at the same time. The three Blue guys came down into the audience. I was in the front row and they spotted the blue Fedora that I was wearing. They just stood there and stared at me, and the hat. I was worried that they would take my hat and I would never see it again – or worse, that they would drag me up on the stage. I put the program in front of my face to distract them from me. Off they went and got a victim (a girl) to go up on the stage and eat Twinkies with the blue guys. She was a good sport and went along with the fun.

This show is a visual feast with pulse pounding sequences. And like pure thoroughbreds – they are a wire-to-wire smash. The audience was mixed. There were Grannies, Grandfathers, Dad’s Mom’s, Children and Teens. There is no doubt about it…this show is a visual knockout. 

RATING: FOUR GLASSES OF CHAMPAGNE!!!! - (highest rating) - trademarked-  

(Lee Hartgrave has contributed many articles to the San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Datebook and produced and hosted a long-running Arts Segment on PBS KQED)))

No comments: