March 15, 2012

LINDA PURL - SONGS FOR THE MEMORY










LINDA PURL – SONGS FOR THE MEMORY

Just like Snow White, --  someone is jealous of her beauty and talent.  You know the story – she falls asleep. A Prince kisses her, breaking the spell. I think the miracle happened on the famous Love Boat.  It was then that Linda Purl realized that she could sing without a crown. See, if you’re lucky, kind, and beautiful like Linda, you may find your self, singing at the Rrazz Room also. Well, at least that’s what I believe.

Linda Purl at the performance that I saw gave us a chest full of jewels from Sondheim, Lerner & Loewe, Duke and Gershwin, A Latin Melody (you’ll want to get up and dance!) There is more, much more, as Purl pulls out all the stops with a Country Western Medley, of various songs. I loved it so much that I ran into H&M and bought a pair of cowboy britches – just to fit in.

Now don’t be greedy – I know that you want to know more – so here are a few more exciting moments that you won’t want to miss. You want magical? This is it: “I’ll Be Seeing You” (by Irving Kahal & Sammy Fain). It doesn’t get more emotional than this tune. Purl recently appeared on Broadway in “Tom Sawyer” and this song from the show this Lullaby “This Time Tomorrow” (Don Schlitz) – is rich and compelling. Here’s a lyric: “This Time Tomorrow, I’ll still be loving you.”

Unlike anything you’ve ever heard before is a lovely Duet “Oh Me. Oh My”, with music Director Tedd Firth and Linda Purl. It’s unlike anything you’ve heard before.

Here’s a free movie ticket – Purl takes us to the movies with the spectacular “Movie Of the Week) written by Ron Abel & Kirby Tepper. You know what – I don’t want to tell you about every song. I want you to discover Linda Purl on your own. Take my word for it though – Purl has a Rich and compelling voice that takes you back to dreamy beaches and love that comes and goes. 

See, I had a dream that I could sing – but I can’t  -- Linda Purl sure put that Idea out of my head. But in my brain is a bunch of tunes that I left the Rrazz with. Near the end, Purl sang a remarkable version of “New Words” (Maury Yeston). I begged her – “Please don’t stop!).  The audience thought I was insane. Well, maybe just a touch. But it really was a stellar evening. And I do believe in Fairy Tales. This was one of those nights.

LINDA PURL SINGS “GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK – WITH A SPLASH OF JAZZ”-- With Tedd Firth, Musical Director.

AT THE RRAZZ ROOM

RATING: FOUR GLASSES OF CHAMPAGNE!!!! – (highest rating) – trademarked-

(((Lee Hartgrave has contributed many articles to the San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Datebook and he also produced a long-running Arts Segment on PBS KQED))) 

advance coverage beyondchron 

 SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE STORIES

No comments: