December 8, 2010

LEE HARTGRAVE TONIGHT

Barb Jungr - The Men I Love. Courtesy Photo from C.D


TONIGHT AT THE RRAZZ ROOM

BARB JUNGR 


BARB JUNGR IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS

BARB JUNGR SINGS THE NEW AMERICAN SONG BOOK

We’ve heard “I’m a Believer” many times lately. Neil Diamond’s song still shines and every version always keeps me mesmerized. For Heavens sake – you must hear this song. Jungr’s voice really raps around it to a different beat. It’s obvious that she literally puts her all into this moment.

This is kind of like a traveling story in song. Her “Once in a Lifetime” is sublime. On this intriguing song -- written by David Byrne and Brian Eno  -- Jungr digs deep to bring us an outstanding complete fusion of song and score.  It’s really luscious.

“Everything I own” is a very intriguing ‘Set Me Free’ song …followed by that great break-up song “You Ain’t Going Nowhere” written by Bob Dylan. It’s the break-up song that trumps all others. 

Then there is the “Sultry” “Can’t Get Used to Losing You” (Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman). What can I say? It’s beyond soaring. Jungr gives us an extremely emotional “Everything I Own”.  Better order another drink – you’ll need it. Also loved her Rendition of Paul Simon “My Little Town.”

I had a chat with Jungr before the show. I asked her what was the funniest thing that every happened to you on stage? – “The funniest thing was in Tanzania. I was doing an afternoon performance way, way out in the bush, in a small open air amphitheatre, when suddenly the stage was invaded by dancing audience members with their chickens and goats!” Yeh – I would say that is funny – even terrifying.

I also asked Jungr what her top three favorite songs would be: “Oh, I can’t do that. There are some songs that stay in year after year, and they are a long list – but I would include “I Want You.” (Dylan) – “Suzanne” (Cohen) and Marieke – (Brel and Jouannest).  Good choices Barb.

One of the most wonderful things about an evening with Barb Jungr is that you hear every note and every lyric. She gives the kind of performance that we go to a Cabaret for.

RATING: FOUR GLASSES OF CHAMPAGNE!!!!

AT THE RRAZZ ROOM.  http://www.therazzroom.com/
There may still be some Tickets available for Tonight.

(((Lee Hartgrave has contributed many articles to the San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Datebook and produced and hosted a long-running Årts Segment on PBS KQED))) 





No comments: