September 15, 2012

KAREN AKERS SINGS THE MOST ROMANTIC EVENING OF THE YEAR

SCROLL DOWN FOR 'THE PLAY ABOUT THE BABY' AT CUSTOM MADE THEATRE. "VERBAL FIREWORKS - and "WICKEDLY FUNNY!" EDWARD ALBEE'S BEST PLAY!



Karen Akers and Lee Hartgrave are captured in the lobby

KAREN SHARES THE MAGIC WITH THE AUDIENCE




Yes - Hartgrave is short and Akers is Tall. She asked me if I wanted her to remove her heels. I said no. Everyone knows that I'm short." Hey- it's all in fun. Photo by Great photographer "Des". 

AKERS sings with delight a rainbow of classics for the audience at the Rrazz Room. She sings Sondheim songs with fervent genuine poignancy – not to mention the humor.

From “Gypsy” she brings the Cabaret to life with “Let Me Entertain You.” Then there is “Broadway Baby” from the wonderful Follies.  And - this will surely GetYa from “Gypsy” – “Gotta Get A Gimmick”. 

One of my all time favorites of Sondheim’s music is “Did a Prince Kiss Me?” from the musical “Into the Woods”. Now, let me think – did anyone kiss me? Nope – guess not. But I loved hearing about it.

Also from the famed Follies – Akers sings the Gold Standard from Follies “Losing My Mind”. You’ll find out how things are done properly, when you hear this song. And Karen Akers knows how to bring those lyrics to life with her take on “Losing My Mind.” It’s an inspiring and uplifting melody. I loved it – and quite frankly you’ll shiver quite a bit. It really gets to your emotions. 

Sondheim has so many wonderful songs – but Akers, takes this lyric – and stuns the hell out me. You’ll remember this: “ Could I Leave you? – The answer is “Yes!” Why can’t I get up the nerve to tell someone that I’m involved with, the same thing?

As AKERS sings this song: “Make The Moment” – it makes me want to ‘Make that Moment for me” – but then of course, it will never happen.

I definitely LOVE this tune: “Live alone and Like it!” Sad words, good music, impossible words, feel good lyrics, happy days and believe in the impossible. Karen Akers makes the evening a shining feel-good time all the time, for the audience.

AKERS has brought to the Rrazz Room one the best, most powerful and passionate evening of music that this “Bright Star” (Akers) has masterfully put together.

NOW PLAYING AT THE RRAZZ ROOM

RATING: FOUR GLASSES OF CHAMPAGNE!!!! – (highest rating) –trademarked-

(((Lee Hartgrave has contributed many articles to the San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Datebook and he produced and hosted a long-running Arts Segment on PBS KQED)))

SCROLL DOWN TO READ THE MARVELOUS “ALBEE’S ‘The Play About the Baby” @Custom Made Theatre))) You’re gonna love it!


No comments: